In 1936 the German army issued a requirement for a command and personnel car. As a result Krupp manufactured the Sd.Kfz 247 Ausf A using their 6×4 Protze truck chassis in 1937. It used a 65bhp Krupp 4-cylinder air cooled petrol engine which gave a top speed of 70 km/h. Armour was from 6-8mm, enough to protect against small arms fire and shell splinters. Combat loaded it weighed 5.1 tons and had a road range of 350 kilometers. The Sd.Kfz 247 Ausf A was designed as a command car for use by the Commanders of motor cycle reconnaissance battalions. It was not issued with a radio as standard equipment and carried no fixed armament. Only 10 of the Ausf A model were built and these served in the early years of WWII, a few surviving until 1945. A smaller Sd.Kfz 247 Ausf B was built by Daimler-Benz using a 4×4 heavy car chassis, 58 were built 1941-42.