Manufactured toward the final stages of WWII, the M40 self-propelled gun design employed a combination of proven M4 Sherman chassis components and the powerful 155mm “Long Tom” gun. It was a boon for the 8-man U.S. crews that deployed it, not least because of the serious mobility upgrade it offered over its towed artillery piece predecessors, and an impressive range of 23.5 kilometers using explosive rounds; stability when firing was provided by a large rear spade.
A 460hp air cooled engine enabled a top speed of 38km/h. Production began in February 1945, and while it was officially adopted in May 1945 none of the 418 manufactured by the end of WWII saw action. Instead, this powerful SPG was deployed in the Korean War, in which it provided long range bombardments of enemy positions.
About the Model
- This is a 1/35 scale plastic model assembly kit. Length: 305mm, width: 91mm.
- In-depth study of the real thing has ensured a highly accurate depiction of the M40 form.
- Depictions of equilibrators feature poly caps and facilitate elevation of the 155mm gun. Traverse is also provided.
- The rear spade is also a moving part, and the rear gate can be assembled up or down.
- Clear parts recreate light lenses and sights on twin commander and radio operator cupolas.
- T80 tracks are faithfully rendered by belt-type parts.
- Photo-etched engine grille parts give a crisp finish.
- A multitude of accessories includes depictions of projectiles, rack and cases.
- Comes with no less than 8 figures, plus 2 Korean War marking options.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.